Courses in the program may be taken as part of the certification track, or by those interested in a particular topic as an open enrollment course. Candidates pursuing the certification must complete six courses: the Basic Economic Development Course, three core courses, and two elective courses of his or her choosing. More information on certification requirements can be found below.
The Certified Louisiana Economic Developer program is sponsored by Southwestern Electric Power Company.
The Certified Louisiana Economic Developer Program is designed for those economic development professionals, Chamber of Commerce staff, elected officials, and local civic leaders who are interested in best business practices in the field of economic development.
Past participants have represented:
- Ascension Economic Development Corp
- Central Alberta Access Prosperity
- City of Alexandria
- City of Baker
- City of Bogalusa
- City of Bunkie
- City of Hammond Economic Development
- City of Mandeville
- City of Minden
- City of Pinedale
- City of Thibodaux
- City of Ville Platte
- Crest Natural Resources
- Delta Regional Authority
- Downtown Development District
- East Mississippi Business Development
- East Feliciana Parish Economic Development District
- England Economic and Industrial Development District
- G.E.C., Inc.
- Greater New Orleans, Inc
- Greater Pointe Coupee Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
- G.R.E.E.N. Consulting
- Health Education Authority of Louisiana
- Joshua's House, LLC
- Livingston Economic Development Council
- LNW Rail Road
- Lafayette Economic Development Authority
- Louisiana Economic Development
- Louisiana Economic Development Corporation
- Louisiana Public Facilities Authority
- Louisiana Small Business Development Center
- Louisiana Technology Park
- Louisiana Workforce Commission
- Mt. Pleasant Industrial Foundation
- Natchitoches Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pensacola Bay Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pointe Coupee Police Jury
- Port of New Orleans
- Regional Planning Commission
- Skinner Associates
- St. Charles Parish
- St. John the Baptist Parish
- St. Tammany Economic Development Foundation
- SJB Group, LLC
- Southern University
- SWLA Alliance Economic Development
- Tangipahoa Parish Economic Development
- TexAmericas Center
- Texarkana Chamber of Commerce
- Thompson Smith and Leach Insurance Group
- Washington Economic Development Foundation
- Webster Parish Police Jury
- West Baton Rouge Chamber
- West Feliciana Economic Development
- Zachary Chamber of Commerce
Tuition and fees cover materials, lunch, parking and internet access.
Investment for two-day courses:
Standard fee: $555.00
Discounted fee*: $505.00
Investment for the Basic Course:
Standard fee: $700.00
Discounted fee*: $650.00
*Discount registration applies to current staff or members of the Louisiana Industrial Development Executives Association (LIDEA), Louisiana Municipal Association (LMA), Louisiana Economic Development (LED), Police Jury Association of Louisiana, and any student, staff, or faculty from an accredited college, university, or community college.
Participants may cancel their registration and receive a refund of their tuition if notification is submitted 15 business days prior to the date of the event. However, all cancellations will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee. In addition, if any program assessments, tests, or reports are completed prior to the cancellation date, fees for these tools will be charged to the participant.
No refunds will be issued if cancellation is received 14 business days or less prior to the event. LSU reserves the right to cancel for any reason without penalty to the participant.
To cancel, contact LSU Executive Education at 225-578-5516 or email@example.com
Participants are allowed to transfer their registration one time. This registration transfer must be for the same program at a future date within one calendar year of the transfer date. If you request a transfer within 10 business days of the program, you will be billed any consumable items incurred including parking, meals, registration fees, and materials created or ordered.
Requests for additional transfers are not permitted. After one registration transfer, the above cancellation policy does not apply. If you must cancel the new course, you will forfeit all registration, tuition, and fees.
Basic Economic Development Course (Core)
January 26 - 29
GNO, Inc., New Orleans
For hotel block reservations with the JW Marriott New Orleans, click here.
Communities face increasingly complex challenges in today's
rapidly changing economy. More than ever, local leadership must be prepared to
help their communities meet these challenges: to capitalize on new
developments, to turn potential obstacles into opportunities, and to enhance
the quality of place for those who live, visit, and invest in the area.
The Basic Economic Development Course (BEDC) in Louisiana
provides this preparation. It offers a general survey of economic development
by focusing primarily on key principles and current practices. It is an
overview and introduction to the fundamentals of economic development that
prepares participants to help their communities and their organizations meet
the competitive challenges they face in fostering economic advancement.