Courses in the program may be taken as part of the certification track, or by those interested in a particular topic as an open enrollment course. Candidates pursuing the certification must complete six courses: the Basic Economic Development Course, three core courses, and two elective courses of his or her choosing. More information on certification requirements can be found below.
The Certified Louisiana Economic Developer program is sponsored by Southwestern Electric Power Company.
The Certified Louisiana Economic Developer Program is designed for those economic development professionals, Chamber of Commerce staff, elected officials, and local civic leaders who are interested in best business practices in the field of economic development.
Past participants have represented:
- Ascension Economic Development Corp
- Central Alberta Access Prosperity
- City of Alexandria
- City of Baker
- City of Bogalusa
- City of Bunkie
- City of Hammond Economic Development
- City of Mandeville
- City of Minden
- City of Pinedale
- City of Thibodaux
- City of Ville Platte
- Crest Natural Resources
- Delta Regional Authority
- Downtown Development District
- East Mississippi Business Development
- East Feliciana Parish Economic Development District
- England Economic and Industrial Development District
- G.E.C., Inc.
- Greater New Orleans, Inc
- Greater Pointe Coupee Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
- G.R.E.E.N. Consulting
- Health Education Authority of Louisiana
- Joshua's House, LLC
- Livingston Economic Development Council
- LNW Rail Road
- Lafayette Economic Development Authority
- Louisiana Economic Development
- Louisiana Economic Development Corporation
- Louisiana Public Facilities Authority
- Louisiana Small Business Development Center
- Louisiana Technology Park
- Louisiana Workforce Commission
- Mt. Pleasant Industrial Foundation
- Natchitoches Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pensacola Bay Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pointe Coupee Police Jury
- Port of New Orleans
- Regional Planning Commission
- Skinner Associates
- St. Charles Parish
- St. John the Baptist Parish
- St. Tammany Economic Development Foundation
- SJB Group, LLC
- Southern University
- SWLA Alliance Economic Development
- Tangipahoa Parish Economic Development
- TexAmericas Center
- Texarkana Chamber of Commerce
- Thompson Smith and Leach Insurance Group
- Washington Economic Development Foundation
- Webster Parish Police Jury
- West Baton Rouge Chamber
- West Feliciana Economic Development
- Zachary Chamber of Commerce
Tuition and fees cover materials, lunch, parking and internet access.
Investment for two-day courses:
Standard fee: $555.00
Discounted fee*: $505.00
Investment for the Basic Course:
Standard fee: $700.00
Discounted fee*: $650.00
*Discount registration applies to current staff or members of the Louisiana Industrial Development Executives Association (LIDEA), Louisiana Municipal Association (LMA), Louisiana Economic Development (LED), Police Jury Association of Louisiana, and any student, staff, or faculty from an accredited college, university, or community college.
Participants may cancel their registration and receive a refund of their tuition if notification is submitted 15 business days prior to the date of the event. However, all cancellations will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee. In addition, if any program assessments, tests, or reports are completed prior to the cancellation date, fees for these tools will be charged to the participant.
No refunds will be issued if cancellation is received 14 business days or less prior to the event. LSU reserves the right to cancel for any reason without penalty to the participant.
To cancel, contact LSU Executive Education at 225-578-5516 or email@example.com
Participants are allowed to transfer their registration one time. This registration transfer must be for the same program at a future date within one calendar year of the transfer date. If you request a transfer within 10 business days of the program, you will be billed any consumable items incurred including parking, meals, registration fees, and materials created or ordered.
Requests for additional transfers are not permitted. After one registration transfer, the above cancellation policy does not apply. If you must cancel the new course, you will forfeit all registration, tuition, and fees.
Economic Development Strategic Planning in Economic Development
June 14 – 15, 2016
LSU Business Education Complex, Room 1420
Registration Deadline June 7
This 2 day interactive class will review the fundamentals of developing and implementing an effective strategic plan that can lead to a community or region achieving a more competitive location for encouraging business investment and the attraction of a talented workforce.
The Strategic Planning course is a core course in the Certified Louisiana Economic Developer certification. It utilizes case studies and sample plans to highlight best practices in economic development strategic planning. Group exercises and class discussion are designed to provide a better understanding of the planning process. Course content includes the following:
- Why do a strategic plan?
- Organizing the process for effective community involvement
- Understanding the community’s competitive position
- Visioning the future
- Setting priorities
- Determining goals and measurable outcomes
- Developing a “strategic” action plan
- Setting benchmarks and performance measures
- Implementing and evaluating the plan effectively
For Dr. David Kolzow’s faculty bio, please click here.
The Certified Louisiana Economic Developer Program is administered in conjunction with the Louisiana Industrial Development Executives Association (LIDEA), LSU’s Stephenson Entrepreneurship Institute, and Louisiana Economic Development.