What is Accounting?
Accounting is the language of business that defines transactions so that they can be used to describe business activities in a commonly understood format. Learn the language, and you can communicate and understand the financial operations of any and all types of organizations.
Opportunities in Accounting
Areas: Auditing, Cost Accounting, Information Systems, Tax Planning/Compliance
Employers: Public Accounting Firms, Government Agencies, Banks/Financial Institutions Nonprofit Organizations, Healthcare Industry, Service/Manufacturing Companies, Consulting Practices
BS in Accounting
The bachelor of accounting is a 120-hour program with several learning objectives for students:
- Technical competence in financial accounting, taxation, and auditing
- Show proficiency in accounting technologies
- Demonstrate research skills
- Create well-written documents on accounting topics
- Deliver an effective oral presentation on an accounting topic
- Defend proposed solutions to accounting problems
- Work effectively in a team environment to generate an acceptable solution to an accounting problem
- Work productively and professionally with co-workers and supervisors to accomplish job tasks
Scholarships & Internships
Scholarships and internships are available to students, and the LSU Honors College provides the opportunity for exceptional students to earn the upper-division honors distinction along with the bachelor's in accounting.