What is Marketing?
Marketing is an organizational function and a set of processes the performs customer needs analysis, executes product/services design, devises branding strategy, establishes pricing, accomplishes promotion, creates the distribution system all while maintaining a competitive advantage.
Opportunities in Marketing
Areas: Advertising, Brand/Product Management, Planning/Research, Retailing, Sales/Management
Employers: Consumer Product Companies, Financial Institutions, Insurance Agencies, Manufacturers, Pharmaceutical Companies, Retail Establishments, Service Industries
BS in Marketing
The bachelor of marketing is a 120-hour program with several learning objectives for students:
- Demonstrate an understanding of market segmentation and targeting
- Demonstrate an understanding of consumer behavior
- Demonstrate an understanding of marketing research and ethical considerations in marketing
- Demonstrate an understanding of relationship management
- Demonstrate an understanding of strategic planning
- Demonstrate an understanding of global marketing
Students majoring in marketing will follow the General Business Administration curriculum for their first two years. The department offers the Internship in Marketing Program, by which students are able to earn up to six hours of course credit for practical work experience. A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and the completion of 30 hours is necessary to be accepted into the marketing major.