Courses in the program may be taken as part of the certification track, or by those interested in a particular topic as an open enrollment course. Candidates pursuing the certification must complete six courses: the Basic Economic Development Course, three core courses, and two elective courses of his or her choosing. More information on certification requirements can be found below.
The Certified Louisiana Economic Developer program is sponsored by Southwestern Electric Power Company.
The Louisiana Economic Development Certification Program is designed for those economic development professionals, Chamber of Commerce staff, elected officials, and local civic leaders who are interested in best business practices in the field of economic development.
Past participants have represented:
- Ascension Economic Development Corp
- Central Alberta Access Prosperity
- City of Alexandria
- City of Baker
- City of Bogalusa
- City of Bunkie
- City of Hammond Economic Development
- City of Mandeville
- City of Minden
- City of Pinedale
- City of Thibodaux
- City of Ville Platte
- Crest Natural Resources
- Delta Regional Authority
- Downtown Development District
- East Mississippi Business Development
- East Feliciana Parish Economic Development District
- England Economic and Industrial Development District
- G.E.C., Inc.
- Greater New Orleans, Inc
- Greater Pointe Coupee Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Shreveport Chamber of Commerce
- G.R.E.E.N. Consulting
- Health Education Authority of Louisiana
- Joshua's House, LLC
- Livingston Economic Development Council
- LNW Rail Road
- Lafayette Economic Development Authority
- Louisiana Economic Development
- Louisiana Economic Development Corporation
- Louisiana Public Facilities Authority
- Louisiana Small Business Development Center
- Louisiana Technology Park
- Louisiana Workforce Commission
- Mt. Pleasant Industrial Foundation
- Natchitoches Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pensacola Bay Area Chamber of Commerce
- Pointe Coupee Police Jury
- Port of New Orleans
- Regional Planning Commission
- Skinner Associates
- St. Charles Parish
- St. John the Baptist Parish
- St. Tammany Economic Development Foundation
- SJB Group, LLC
- Southern University
- SWLA Alliance Economic Development
- Tangipahoa Parish Economic Development
- TexAmericas Center
- Texarkana Chamber of Commerce
- Thompson Smith and Leach Insurance Group
- Washington Economic Development Foundation
- Webster Parish Police Jury
- West Baton Rouge Chamber
- West Feliciana Economic Development
- Zachary Chamber of Commerce
Tuition and fees cover materials, lunch, parking and internet access.
Investment for two-day courses:
Standard fee: $555.00
Discounted fee*: $505.00
Investment for the Basic Course:
Standard fee: $700.00
Discounted fee*: $650.00
*Discount registration applies to current staff or members of the Louisiana Industrial Development Executives Association (LIDEA), Louisiana Municipal Association (LMA), Louisiana Economic Development (LED), Police Jury Association of Louisiana, and any student, staff, or faculty from an accredited college, university, or community college.
Participants may cancel their registration and receive a refund of their tuition if notification is submitted 15 business days prior to the date of the event. However, all cancellations will be subject to a $50 cancellation fee.
No refunds will be issued if cancellation is received 14 business days or less prior to the event.
LSU reserves the right to cancel for any reason without penalty to the participant.
To cancel, contact Carolyn Foley at 225-578-9132 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants are allowed to transfer their registration one time. This registration transfer must be for the same program at a future date within one calendar year of the transfer date. Requests for additional transfers are not permitted. After one registration transfer, the above cancellation policy does not apply. If you must cancel the new course, you will forfeit all registration, tuition, and fees.
All courses are held at the LSU Business Education Complex. Unless otherwise noted, courses run from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Marketing & Attraction (Core)
May 20-21, 2014
This 2 day interactive class will review the fundamentals of developing and implementing a high-impact marketing and attraction plan. Case studies and sample plans will highlight the dos and don'ts of economic development marketing and attraction. Course topics include:
- Overview of economic development marketing
- Establishing the rationale for your marketing program for various target audiences
- Site selection consultants
- Winning strategies in the economic development marketing game
- Your website and online marketing
- Branding and economic development