Admission to the program is competitive. Minimum requirements for admission into the program are listed below.
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited US institution or the equivalent from a foreign institution.
- A GPA of at least a 3.0 on all undergraduate work and 3.00 GPA or better on any graduate work already completed.
- GMAT or GRE scores that meet the Graduate School’s requirements (the ISDS Department accepts either GMAT or GRE scores).
- International students must have TOEFL or IELTS scores that meet the Graduate School’s requirements (see http://www.gradlsu.gs.lsu.edu). Students who have graduated from a non-US school should check the LSU Graduate Schools Admission Requirements to determine if a TOEFL/IELTS exam is required.
- International students must certify that funds are available to pay all costs while studying at LSU. (See http://www.oip.lsu.edu/iso/ and http://ww.oip.lsu.edu/iso/pdfs/affidavit_of_support.pdf
In addition to the Graduate School’s requirements, the ISDS Department requires the following items.
- Statement of Purpose
- Three letters of recommendation
These materials must be submitted with your other application materials. Please do not send application materials to the ISDS Department directly. Submit them through the online application system.
Completion of a graduate degree, an undergraduate degree that is more relevant, a higher GPA, higher test scores, and more relevant experiences will improve your chances of being admitted. Your chances of gaining admission are better if you have any of the following:
- A graduate degree (especially one in a relevant area).
- An undergraduate degree in a field that is very relevant to the MSA degree and show successful completion of courses in statistics or mathematics. Some examples include: any engineering degree, computer science, management science, most other sciences, operations research, production/operations management, economics, statistics, mathematics or industrial/organizational psychology.
- A high GPA.
- GRE or GMAT test scores in the top 25%.
- Work experience in business intelligence, business analytics, data mining, data warehousing, database management, computer science, programming, web development, web analytics, risk management and related fields.
- Relevant internship experience.
- The ISDS department only accepts Master’s students in summer "B" Semester, which typically starts in early June.
- Your application should specify that the MSA program begins in the 2014 Summer "B" Semester, NOT the 2014 Fall Semester.
- Submit all of your application materials as quickly as possible to avoid delays in the admission process.
- Do not wait for your GRE or GMAT test scores to arrive before submitting your application on line. You can add the scores to your application later.
Application Deadlines for the 2014-2015 School Year
- Application deadline for U.S. citizens and resident aliens is March 31, 2014.
- Application deadline for international applicants who are not presently in the U.S. is December 15, 2013. If you are in this category, you should contact LSU’s International Student Office) to obtain information on their processing deadlines and other requirements.
The Review Process and Admission Decisions
- After your application has been submitted, we will review it and send you an email listing any actions you must take to complete the application process.
- Students can check their application status by visiting the Graduate School admissions Website. During peak application processing periods it may take 6-8 weeks for an application to complete the evaluation process, particularly for international applicants whose GPA's must be evaluated according to the appropriate standards for their country.
- When your application is complete the Graduate School will inform the department.
- ISDS faculty will review application folders and invite selected students to come to campus for a face-to-face interview. If a face-to-face interview is impossible, an online video interview will be scheduled.
- Admission is competitive and the ISDS faculty weighs all of the information carefully before making a decision.
- Because the number of openings is limited, it is in your best interest to submit your application early.
Financial Aid Overview
The fee schedule for graduate students can be found at: http://www.bgtplan.lsu.edu/fees.htm. All of the types of financial aid that are normally available to graduate students at LSU are available to MSA students, except that assistantships and other forms of work-study programs are not permitted for students enrolled in this program.
Graduate School Tuition Awards
The graduate dean can award up to 200 tuition exemptions to graduate students from under-represented groups. These tuition awards provide for an exemption from the resident or nonresident fee, or both the resident and nonresident fees. Preference is given to students from Latin American countries and to African-Americans. Students must be admitted to a graduate program at LSU and be nominated by their respective departments.
Federal Work-Study Program
Work study programs are not permitted for students enrolled in the MSA degree program.
The Office of Student Aid & Scholarships administers a number of loan programs created to help deserving graduate students who need financial assistance to continue their education. All such funds are subject to policies and regulation authorized by the Faculty Senate Student Aid and Scholarships Committee. To be eligible, a student must be making satisfactory academic progress. For more information on the available loan programs, contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and Student Aid: 1146 Pleasant Hall, 225-578-3103.
The Office of Veterans' Affairs has the responsibility for handling all applications for benefits under the various public laws. In order to receive full VA benefits, a veteran graduate student must be registered for nine or more semester hours. Details and additional information concerning benefits for veterans may be obtained from the Office of Veterans' Affairs: 112 Thomas Boyd Hall, 225-578-1547.
LSU Graduate School
For more information, please contact: